ADSM-L

[no subject]

1997-12-11 14:45:46
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:45:46 PST
Subject:RE:Lotus Notes Agent
>Cyndie (IBM, San Jose):
>
>I've forwarded the info you've written below to the Notes Admin folks here
>--- they've expressed concerns about the "incremental forever" concept in
>the Notes environment --- they wanted to understand that after the first
>backup (which is anticipated as requiring a significantly long backup time)
>that any other FULL backup would be unnecessary, i.e., that all subsequent
>incrementals would be sufficient through the Connect Agent for restore. Is
>there something more that I can tell them to allay their "fears" concerning
>this issue? It would make my life a lot easier if they felt warm and fuzzy
>about the methodologies I plan to use with the Connect Agent.
>
>Thanks.
>
>C.L.Cannam
>Storage Management
>GENAM, St. Louis, MO

The incremental forever paradigm with  our LN agent is the
same as the ADSM incremental paradigm with our regular backup/archive client.
It is a hard concept to grasp at first because folks are pre-conditioned to
think in terms of full backup tapes and incremental backup tapes that must
be applied serially to restore successfully.

The ADSM agent searches through LN databases looking for new or changed
documents.  The first time it searches, everything is new to the agent, so
by default everything gets backed up.  Subequent backups only back up
new or changed documents.  So the ADSM server has a copy (image) of
every document.  You use ADSM policies to set how many versions of documents
you want and how long you want to keep each version.

Maybe it would be best to have our adsm tech support dept do a conference
call with you and your lotus notes administrators.  Please send an email
to adstarsw AT vnet.ibm DOT com, if you'd like to set something up.
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)