ADSM-L

Re: Many Client

1997-12-10 17:04:25
Subject: Re: Many Client
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:04:25 -0700
Lots of variables, but let's take a crack at this:

Assume the PC's are doing the write things by not sending the wrong data,
like Windows 95, MS Office, etc, and are limited to only user data.  This
should be a very small amount of data in general, say 50 MB per day.  Let's
say each PC needs five minutes to move all of the changed data daily.
 Further, assume the network and server can handle 10 simultaneous backups.
 We can therefore do 10*12 or 120 PCs per hour to the server.  Assume an
eight hour window, 960 PCs per server.

Now, is this reasonable?  Perhaps, but my guess is the real number is
somewhere around 500 "normal" PCs.  Now if these PCs have lots of changed
data then the number goes down.

The testing of our STORserver NT product indicates that ADSM on the right
platform performs quite well so I don't think my assumptions above are out
of line.  The numbers seem high to me, but probably within the ballpark.

OK all of the rest of you, shoot this to pieces!

Thanks,

Kelly