ADSM-L

Re: Re[2]: reclamation

1997-12-02 13:13:58
Subject: Re: Re[2]: reclamation
From: Sean Garvey <sgarvey AT PHAEDO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:13:58 -0500
On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, ALLEN BARTH wrote:

A tape is reclaimed when the a certain percentage of data (determined by
the Pct. Reclaimable variable you set on the storage pool) on that tape
has become obsolete, expired.  "Fullness" is a qualification that is only
applicable in the sense "this tape is full of good (valid) data".  As soon
as that percentage is met by a tape, that tape is then reclaimed.  Th
remaining "good" data is copied from the corresponding primary storage pool
tape to an new copy storage pool tape to be checked out that evening.
The reclaimed tape then goes to a status of "Pending".  As soon as the
Reuse Delay parameter is passed (another variable set by you on the
storage pool in question) the tape then goes into the status of "Empty"
(and as DRMEDIA, the state is "vaultretrieve").

That's how reclamaition works.

Sean

>      I'll disagree here, because you can't calculate %empty until you know
>      what full is.

> _________________________________
> Subject: Re: reclamation
> Author:  David Cannon <cannon AT US.IBM DOT COM> at ~Internet
> Date:    12/1/97 6:38 PM
>

> >Reclamation will only occur on tapes that are marked as "full".  Filling
> >tapes will not be reclaimed until they have first been marked "full", and
> >then are found to be candidates for reclamation.
>
> Tapes are reclaimed if  they satisfy the reclamation threshold, regardless of
> whether the tapes have been marked full.
>
> Dave Cannon

o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0

Sean P. Garvey                                  phone: (703) 527-6036
Phaedo Consulting, Inc.                         beeper:(800) 381-9779
www.phaedo.com                                  email:  sgarvey AT phaedo DOT
com

o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0 o 0