ADSM-L

Re: Backup of Storage Pools

1997-11-25 10:30:18
Subject: Re: Backup of Storage Pools
From: Betty Simonis <BETTY_SIMONIS AT DSC.UMICH DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:30:18 -0500
We are running our adsm server on an OS390 Rel 3 system and are at
server level 2.1.0.13.

I have been unable to successfully run a backup of a primary storage pool
to a copy storage pool I have defined. We are backing everything up to
tape and use the CA1 tape management system. When I initiated a backup
of a primary storage pool to the copy storage pool, I saw numerous
tape mount requests for scratch tapes on the OS390 server. The storage
pool I was trying to backup has only two tapes in it, yet the server
was asking scratch tape after scratch tape to be mounted. I had over
10 scratch tapes mounted before the backup process was cancelled.

I have the primary storage pool using a different device class than the
copy pool so that I can direct the copy pool to using a different high
level qualifier. Is this a problem?? I have read everything I can on
backing up storage pools and it all seems pretty straight forward. But
I am perplexed as to why a copy of two tapes turned into more than two
scratch tape requests. Oh, and though collocation is turned on for the
primary pool, it is not being used for the copy pool.

Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Betty Simonis
University of Michigan
Data Systems Center