ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 18:03:49
Steven P Roder wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Karlheinz Kandler wrote:
> > Questions:
> > We've installed ADSM Server Version 2 Release 6 Level 0.12 on Solaris
> > 2.6.
> > We've configured our disks with SDS (Solstice Disk Suite) as RAID
> > devices.
> > But ADSM doesn't like metadevices.
> >
> > Do you know if ADSM server is running with SDS or Sun Enterprise Volume
> > Manager
> > or does ADSM only support native disk devices ?
>
> We are running with Sun Multipacks as native disks.  I think the list of
> supported disk devices can be found on the ADSM web pages.
>
> > On the other hand there still seems to be a file size limit of 2 GB. Is
> > this true ?
>
> I am running on Solaris 2.5.1, and cannot create a file greater than 2 GB,
> so I do not know if ADSM would support greater than 2GB files under 2.6.
> Can Solaris 2.6 create files greater than 2GB?  Why do you want to do
> this?  For the database/log/data volumes?  Or are you talking about the
> server being able to backup files greater than 2GB from clients that
> support that?
>
> Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
> (tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
> (716)645-3564 ,
>    | http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)

We are running with MultiPacks too. Our plan is to have a database of
about 10 GB
and don't want to mirror the database. Instead we like to use SDS which
give us
e.g. RAID 5. So we need the metadevices. On the other hand we plan to
have a disk
cache of about 80 GB in front of our DLT library and this based on RAID
5 too.
Why do we do this ? This is in case of a single point of (disk) failure.

The question about a file size greater than 2 GB relates to the server
too. As we
can't set up ADSM on metadevices at the moment and don't like to have
native disks we
must set up file systems and (database or log) files in it. Therefore we
need a
file size greater than 2 GB.

What Release level of ADSM do you run ?