ADSM-L

How to start scheduler on NT client

2015-10-04 18:03:49
Subject: How to start scheduler on NT client
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 11/20/97 12:35PM
The NT scheduler takes advantage of the NT Service facility to run the
scheduled backups, rather than the common method used in other clients.  Its
not that the common method won't work - it will - but it would mean that you
have to leave someone logged on all the time, otherwise the schedule task
would be terminated when the session was logged off.

Part of the installation process for the Win32 client leaves you with a
program called "ADSM Scheduler Service Installation".  This is program will
lead you through the installation of the service.  It is menu driven - just
follow the path for install Service.  The only change you need to make to the
DSM.OPT file is to add the line "PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE".  (DO THIS BEFORE
you add the service).

The service install process will tell you that a reboot of the server is
required - this is only to pick up automatic logging, and is not required.
However, the service install does not start the service.  After it has been
installed, go to the Control Panel, select "Services", and you should see
ADSM Central Scheduler Service.  Select it, then click on Start.  It should
start and you're in business.  After the first time, the service will start
each time the machine is rebooted.

If someone does keep an ID logged on all the time (such as on an NT
Workstation), then the registry information will not get backed up.  You need
to add a task to the Startup file for all users that executes a simple BAT
file that reads:

DSMC REGBACK USER CURUSER

Put this file in your ADSM directory (where the DSMC.EXE is located), then
add a shortcut to the startup (for all users) that runs this Bat file.  Of
course, point the "Start in" entry to the same place.

Good Luck!

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

PS.  What is a Hokie, anyway?

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    11/20/97 12:35 PM

A user installed our first NT client yesterday, and we have no idea how to
get the scheduler to run in the background.  According to "Installing the
Clients", we used the AT command to start dsmc schedule at a preset time daily.
This doesn't quite make sense because the AT command starts a new scheduler
everytime it runs.  What we need is to start dsmc schedule once at boot time.
The manual is no help at all.

client - NT workstation 4.0

Thanks in advance.

 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                 email   : eliza.lau AT vt DOT
edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                            Voice   : (540) 231-9399