ADSM-L

Re: Scheduling Administrative Commands on the Server

1997-11-18 17:48:33
Subject: Re: Scheduling Administrative Commands on the Server
From: Michael R Vogt <vogt AT AUK.NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:48:33 -0500
Scott Temonia wrote:
> Can I run a UNIX script (doesn't matter what shell) that contains ADSM
> server administrative commands from the central scheduler ?  If so, how do
> I do this ?  I've called support and the answer that I've gotten is yes but
> when I write a script and then point the scheduler at the script, I get an
> error message that says the command is unrecognized.

Sounds like you are mixing up two different things:

1. You can define an "Administrative Command Schedule" that specifies an
 actual ADSM command.  Or

2. You can define a "Client Schedule" with an ACTION=Command where
 you can use the "OBJECTS=" parameter with the name of a UNIX script.

If you want to use option 1 you can write and invoke an ADSM macro to
run more than one ADSM command.

If you want to write a UNIX script, go with option 2 and treat the server
as a client. This seems like overkill if all you want to do is server
administrative commands. Otherwise, why not use cron?

The real neat thing about option 2 is that you can run ANY command
as the root user on any of your clients. You just need to schedule it ;-)