ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and the NT Service

1997-11-17 14:07:34
Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:07:34 -0600
Elizabeth,

  While you're creeping around, here are some thoughts.  I have seen a
problem with the dsmcsvci creating the nodenames incorrectly when I was
installing 2 services.
1) Run DSMCSVCI and delete any ADSM Services.  Run REGEDT32 and clean up
any remaining ADSM oriented services.
2) Make certain there are no bogus DSM_DIR or DSM_Config environment
variables.
3) Reboot
4) Reinstall service of choice via DSMCSVCI.

If no progress with above, suspect a registry problem.  There are registry
repair utilities like regfix.  Run it and see what it reports.

The next step I would take would to run screaming around the room while
pulling may hair.

Let us know if any of the above work,
Dan T.

----------
> [...]
> last I got some messages anyway.  Apparently, when I use the DSMCSVCI,
either
> from the GUI or from the command line, it's not creating a nodename
registry
> entry.  The message stated that and when I went to look for it there was
> nothing there.
>
> We use this software on several NT servers and on a couple NT
workstations,
> but I have two clients that this is happening to.  With this further
> information, anybody have any thoughts?  And thanks to everybody for
their
> suggestions so far.  I would NEVER have gotten this far without you.
> ---------------------- Forwarded by Elizabeth D Moir/LAKE/CHMS/ABBOTT on
> 11/17/97 09:54 AM ---------------------------
>

> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 11/13/97 11:21:29 AM
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET
> cc:
> Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
>
> Beth,
>
>  Check your NT event logs.  This is a really strange problem and
hopefully
> something will show up in either the system or application log.  This
> sounds like a relatively serious problem, a corrupt DLL or bad memory
chip
> or something.  If you see nothing wrong with any other application I
would
> definitely open a problem with IBM.
>
> Let us know,
>  Dan T.
>
> ----------
> > From: Moir,Elizabeth <Elizabeth.Moir AT LN.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
> > Date: Thursday, November 13, 1997 7:26 AM
> >
> > I'm really appreciate everybody's input on this.  To answer some of the
> > questions . . . . .
> >
> > I have installed the latest V2 version.
> > I checked the dsmerror.log and there is nothing in there.
> >
> > I just went over to run dsmc to look at the messages as suggested here
> and lo
> > and behold it doesn't even run.  There's a little blip on the screen
and
> I'm
> > right back to the C:\Win32app\IBM\ADSM\BACLIENT prompt.  I checked to
see
> if
> > the executable was even there and it is.  I ran DSMSCVC.exe and that
ran
> > fine.
> >
> > Does anybody think this could possibly be a memory problem?
> >
> > Again, thanks for all the help so far.
> >

> > ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 11/13/97 06:57:05 AM
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET
> > cc:
> > Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
> >
> > Beth,
> >
> >   I agree with the advice of attempting to run the DSMC.exe from a
> command
> >   prompt to see if it will display other messages.  I have run into
ADSM
> > complaining about not finding certain files before.  FYI.  The nodename
> > being unreadable in the registry is not right.  If you had run the
> dsmcsvci
> > (I assume you had) it should have been fine.  I have had to manually
> enter
> > the the clientnodename correctly before.
> >
> > Are you on the latest client code? 2.1.0.6g, I think.
> >
> > Dan T.
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Moir,Elizabeth <Elizabeth.Moir AT LN.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
> > > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > > Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
> > > Date: Wednesday, November 12, 1997 2:25 PM
> > >
> > > Here's what I've done so far.
> > >
> > > 1.  I pinged VM (that's the alias for our ADSM server) - That worked
> > okay.
> > > 2.  I pinged the ADSM server IP address - That worked okay.
> > > 3.  I  changed the TCPServerAddress in the options file to the full
> > address
> > > instead of the alias.  I tried to execute the ADSM Client.  It
blipped
> on
> > the
> > > screen and disappeared.
> > > 4.  I uninstalled the NT Service and tried to execute the ADSM
Client.
> > Same
> > > blip.
> > > 5.  I uninstalled the entire ADSM client and reinstalled it.
(Compact