ADSM-L

Re: Server requirements

1997-11-14 08:57:20
Subject: Re: Server requirements
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 08:57:20 -0500
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Thomas A. La Porte wrote:
> Is there anybody who is running a UNIX ADSM server on the same
> machine as their main file servers (in order to do shared memory
> backups)?

We have an Auspex fileserver and a NetworkApplicance.  I run the Solaris
server, and backup all of the filesystems (auspex and netap) via NFS
mountpoints on the ADSM Server.  With the NetApp, you really don't have
any other choice.  The CPU in the Auspex is slow for accessing it's
filesystems directly.  It is much faster to backup the Auspex over NFS,
utilitzing it FP's, which is what the machine is designed to do.  I use
shared memory on the ADSM server for all of these backups.

> I'd love to hear people's thoughts on proper sizing for an AIX or
> Solaris box to run as an ADSM server.

I have a Sun E3000 on order with 1GB of memory and 2x250MHz ultrasparc
CPU's, each with 1MB of cache.  This system can be expanded to 6 CPU's,
and I think the 300MHz CPUs will be out soon.  I think memory can go to
4GB.  Sizing?  We are a Sun shop, so decided to buy the fastest system
within our budget, and still have it be expandable.  The current Sparc20
with 2x75MHz Sparc CPUs and 512MB memory is woefully underpowered.  Both
the current machine and the new one are on FDDI to the auspex and Netapp.

Hope this helps.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,