ADSM-L

ADSM on NT

1997-11-13 15:02:15
Subject: ADSM on NT
From: Brian Clinger <bclinger AT NETWALK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:02:15 -0500
I have installed the latest try and buy version of ADSM on a NT Server
running version 4.0 SP3. At the current time, I just have one internal
tape drive with a 24GB capacity. I haven't used ADSM before so I am
learning the basics. Following is a summary and some questions I have at
this time:

1. I installed the ADSM server and client on the same NT server. Both
have been setup with the default admin and client ids and passwords.

2. I added the tape drive as a ADSM device.

3. I have the three default pools for space management, backup, and
arhive as well as a pool for a generic tape device.

4. I went into the pool hierarchy and had all three default pools point
to my generic tape pool because I want data from these pools to migrate
to tape.

5. I created a new policy named new policy that I have my client using
to backup directly to tape. I have set the thresholds to 0 and 0 and
pointed to the generic tape pool.

From what I understand so far, when you backup files the data is copied
to the backup pool and according to the thresholds you have setup it
will then get moved to tape. Since I defined the new policy as described
in #4 above, the data should now be copied directly to tape. If I used
the standard policy and backed up data that didn't exceed the threshold,
would the data ever be copied to tape? If I had a pool that was 100MB,
and I backed up data that totaled 100MB, and my threshold was set to
90%, would some of my data reside on disk and some on tape? Also, in
general I am still not sure how tape management works. How long would
one have to keep a tape before you could re-use it?

One other major factor is that we have DB2 Universal Database and I
wanted to be able to backup to ADSM from DB2. The support for ADSM is in
DB2 UDB. Is anyone else using DB2 UDB? If so, are you going to backup to
ADSM? Right now, I am getting SQL 2062N and Reason Code 610 when trying
to backup to ADSM. IBM support is currently looking into this. This is
my first attemp to use DB2 but right now I am focusing on how to setup
and manage ADSM and if has any benefits over just using a standard
Windows NT backup program and DB2's backup utility.