ADSM-L

3490E Tape Capacity

1997-11-12 09:53:35
Subject: 3490E Tape Capacity
From: Steve Fletcher <SFletcher AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:53:35 -0500
I have a question regarding what kind of tape capacity I should be getting with
3490E tapes. We
are in the process of implementing ADSM for a variety of clients (Netware, NT,
and several flavors
of Unix). I am currently backing up about 35 gigs (during the weekly full
backups) off of six
Netware servers.  The data on these servers consists of application software
(Lotus, Paradox,
WordPerfect, etc.) and the corresponding data files for these applications. The
MVS server is
installed on an IBM 9672 CMOS processor with EMC drives for disk pools and IBM
3490 C22
tape drives.  We are using 3490E tapes and from what I can tell from the
documentation and
various postings on this list, I should be getting over 2 gigabytes of data on
each tape.  In reality, I
am getting less than this amount with an average around 1.3 gigs.  Compression
is turned off on
the client and it is activated on the device class. When I turn it off on the
devclass, the utilization
drops to about 800 megs per tape.  Reclaimation is not the issue (tapes less
than 100 utilized)
since I have tapes in the storage pool which are marked as 100% utilized but
containing only
about 1.3-1.4 gigs of data.

I know the drives are capable of compressing the data more, since our mainframe
backup system
from Sterling Software, is writing around 2.4 gigs per tape.  This can be
viewed through CA1 by
looking at the block count and record length.

What do I need to look at and modify to try and get the tape utilization upto
expected amounts??

Thanks!