ADSM-L

Re: Database size in Version 3

1997-11-12 07:30:51
Subject: Re: Database size in Version 3
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:30:51 GMT
Replying to: Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM> (Tue, 11 Nov 1997
13:26:21
-0500)
[...]
[...]
>Does anyone know if the way ADSM stores small files with V3 is any
>different?  I know it can move them differently, with small file
>aggregation, but is the database structure any different?
>IBM... will I use just as much database with V3 as V2?

With V3, using server file aggregation you should be able to reduce the size
of ADSM database.

Extracted from ADSM Version 3 Technical Guide:
---------------
Server File Aggregation
Server File Aggregation
[...]
Performance Benefits

Server processes that are a function of file size will be affected most by
aggregation from a performance aspect. Server processes that involve copy or
move operations such as storage pool migration, storage pool backup and
restore, and the move data operation will be the primary beneficiaries of
aggregation. The grouping of small client files into large physical files
enables server processes to execute faster than previous versions of ADSM
due to fewer database transactions needed to accomplish the same task. In
comparison to previous versions, as more files are aggregated in Version 3,
there are fewer database transactions and entries which are determined by
the physical files (aggregates) rather than the more numerous individual
client (logical) files. Files within aggregates will be managed together for
these operations.

Backup-archive sessions have also shown performance improvements as a result
of aggregating small files. Greater number of small files which are
aggregated reduce the number of database transactions when compared to
previous versions without aggregation. The database entry for an logical
file within an aggregate is less than an entry for a single physical file.
Compared to previous versions which required a database entry for every
file, this results in a side benefit of a smaller ADSM database.
You can find this redbook on the web. I don't recall the URL, but it's You can
find this redbook on the web. I don't recall the URL, but it's been
posted here on the list.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,