ADSM-L

Re: Designing a system...

1997-11-06 15:45:08
Subject: Re: Designing a system...
From: Ian Munro <ian AT WINTERLAND.MAINLAND.AB DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 13:45:08 -0700
>Given that I've got ~500GB across 20 (Unix) machines to back up, that the
>ADSM server must run on AIX, and the hardware budget for the system is <<$100K,
>any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?  I'm assuming that I'll
>want some sort of tape library, and probaby a better machine than the
>RS6000 320s that we've got lying around...  I expect I'll want at least
>DLT, if not MagStar (and there is the possibility of serious deep discount
>from IBM since we're .edu).
>
>Thanks for any advice.
>
>Pat Wilson
>paw AT northstar.dartmouth DOT edu

Pat ... we are an ADSM implementation company so have seen a few of these.
Based on your basic description of your environment, we need to make an
assumption regarding rate of change of data: for purposes of discussion,
we'll use 15% of your data changes daily, making your backup requirements
75GB per day.

Based on this assumption, you'll need a minimum disk pool of 35GB ... more
if you have a very tight backup window.  By the way, this is heavily
dependent on your network ... it should be a high speed topology such as
fast ethernet, ATM or FDDI.

For a processor, we would suggest an F series processor (2-way F40 or 1-way
F50), the more memory the better, SSA disk is a great fit (if you use SCSI
think about more than 1 controller), mirrored disk for the ADSM database,
separate SCSI adapter for your tape library.

With respect to tape drives, a DLT library is a good fit, as would be a
Magstar 3575 library of some description.

Hope this helps...feel free to contact me directly if you have further
questions.
Ian Munro
Vice President
Mainland Information Systems