ADSM-L

Re: Personnel required to support ADSM?

1997-11-06 08:58:19
Subject: Re: Personnel required to support ADSM?
From: "Clendenny, Ronald D." <rdclendenny AT CAL.UE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 07:58:19 -0600
Bryce,

We have a similar environment: backing up rs/6k, nt, netware, vax, and
win95.  we have a 9672-r22 ADSM server and a 3494 atlds with 4 3590
drives.  We have 34 clients (servers only, no desktops), backup about 2
to 3 GB per night, have 2TB on 200 3590's, rotate tapes offsite every
night.  Reclaim and expire once a week.  Keep unlimited versions of
everything for 18 months.

We were in a steady state mode for the previous year and from my
experience, ADSM is pretty much a set-it-and-forget-it type of software
product.  Unless your really want to tweak it every day or if your
environment changes.

However, our environment changed, so right now I spend about half my
time on ADSM, trying to get the schedule re-tuned and co-locating about
800G of old data.  But once I get the schedule tuned, the data
co-located, vaulting set up, and disaster recovery planned, I expect to
look at it about once a week like I used to.

I don't have a lot of time to devote to ADSM since we only have two
system programmers here for everything - and I mean everything.

Ron Clendenny
Callaway Nuclear Plant
Fulton, Missouri
<rdclendenny AT cal.ue DOT com>