ADSM-L

Ongoing Tape Woes

2015-10-04 18:03:48
Subject: Ongoing Tape Woes
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 11/4/97 10:44AM
Here are my answers.

1.   Yes

You could increase the % reclaimable higher - we generally set ours at 60%
(the default) and still see what you do.  I would be interested in seeing
what your ratio of expiration to new files is.  I just started tracking this
info, after noting that my DB utilization is climbing very rapidly.  I am
coming to the conclusion (duh!) that the use of ADSM is growing faster than
anticipated lately.  Not a very surprising conclusion.

Your settings are very generous, in my mind, especially with no retention
period.  Remember that it says that if I backed it up once, I will always
have a copy of it, even if I delete it.  If I don't delete it, I will have 40
copies forever.  But then again you already knew this.....

2.  It's not so much a case of what the 3590 will do, but how ADSM reacts to
the error conditions that the hardware returns to you.  We have also used our
Automated Operation systems to make tapes unavailable in certain situations.

If you are having media problems, then I would consider a Move Data to get
the data off of these tapes.  Also, use the Audit Volume to see how the tapes
have been affected.  Sometimes the unavailable tape doesn't really have a
problem, sometimes it does.  Do you have a Copypool set up, or are you on
your own here when it comes to potentially lost files?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com