ADSM-L

Re: ADSM with remote sites

1997-11-04 10:40:36
Subject: Re: ADSM with remote sites
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 08:40:36 -0700
I'll chime in as well and echo Jerry's comments about the network.

Theoretically, you could "export" a clients data to tape and then import it
to another server, but as an everyday thing, I probably wouldn't do it.
 You could also put small robots at your remote sites to eliminate the need
for an onsite daily tape manipulation person.  This doesn't address the
disaster recovery scenario particularly well, though.  This approach would
allow you to "manage" the remote sites centrally using the admin clients
over the network.

Finally, does the rapidly changing data at the remote sites really need
backup?  What kind of data is it?  Can it be easily recreated?  This is the
basic principle I'm exploring here: if data doesn't require restoration, it
doesn't require backup.  Back up less, need less network!

Finally, if the data is really that important and local backup won't work,
then upgrade your network links.  Remember, all computing problems in the
world that can be solved with enough money.  What's it worth to you?

A point about ADSM V3 operation: the movement of data from one server to
another is really an archive of the first server's data on the second
server.  The good news is you can do this "archive" during off hours and
then only archive really important data to the second server.  But, as
Jerry mentioned, the restore of this data to the original client may be too
slow to meet business needs.

Bottom Line?  Get creative.

Kelly