ADSM-L

Cuestions over OPEN/STOR & ADSM

2015-10-04 18:03:48
Subject: Cuestions over OPEN/STOR & ADSM
From: IECISA: Ingenieria de Sistemas
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hello to all.

I want to expound a question in the one which I suppose that they are =
interested many people of this Forum.
Does any product exist that do it be composed with ADSM and that do it =
contribute the HSM functionality?
IBM recommends utilize OPEN/ STOR. We don't know it, they only have made =
us a presentation, and we have also revised the red book that bill like =
they are composed in environment Novell AVAIL/ HSM and ADSM.=20
it seem us that it is not an as resolved solution as the one which =
contributes ADSM in AIX environment.=20

We have found the following problems:

ln Intel environment, we have seen that IBM suggest the utilization of =
OPEN/ STOR, but we have met with the distributor in Spain, and we have =
found several deficiencies.=20

OPEN/ STOR needs an appropriate server in order to make the =
Administration of HSM=20

It is difficult to synchronize the data saved of the server OPEN/ STOR =
and his clients with ADSM.=20

Like OPEN/ STOR utilizes a file (similar to a Storage Pool), in order to =
keep the administered files, ADSM should save this whole file, not only =
the files that have changed (like the incremental backup).=20

When you recover a file that has been migrate with OPEN/ STOR, modify =
and  save again, not reutilize  the space of the file migrate, and the =
product doesn't provide of the functionality of recovering the space =
that no longer  is been worth (reclamation). This carries us to a =
limitless growth of the space (disk or cardtridge) utilized by OPEN/ =
STOR. =20

Is there somebody that this utilizing OPEN/ STOR with ADSM?

Could you inform me like do it operate?

You know any product that contributes the HSM functionality in different =
environments of AIX, Novell, Windows-NT, Windows-NT on Digital Alpha, =
etc.?
=20
Thank you for yours attention. A greeting<<File: ATT00245.html>>