ADSM-L

Re: Bare metal restore from a CD .....

1997-10-31 13:53:32
Subject: Re: Bare metal restore from a CD .....
From: Michael R Vogt <vogt AT AUK.NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:53:32 -0500
> He has several large servers that we are backing up, and he is thinking about
> bare metal disaster recovery.  He has seen the ADSM from a ZIP drive writeup
> from the redbook, but he was thinking more along the lines of having a
> skeleton NT installed on a CD.  The presumption here is that we would install
> NT to a CD that is writeable, then add ADSM.  The question he had was did I
> think this would work!  :-(>

I had the idea of doing the same thing only using a parallel-port removable
drive (Iomega or SyQuest). I figured that all our NT clients had parallel
ports, but not all had the same brand of CDROM, and you can't write to the
CDROM, so it would be easier to do with a removable drive.  Wrong.  I've
spent quite a bit of time trying, but haven't yet figured out how to boot
the damned thing...