ADSM-L

Re: Doing restores from tapes

1997-10-29 10:16:54
Subject: Re: Doing restores from tapes
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:16:54 -0700
I'm surprised ADSM is becoming confused about the contents of your loader.
 Are tapes being swapped into and out of that thing without ADSM's
knowledge?  If you remove or add a tape without doing a checkin or
checkout, ADSM gets lost: it doesn't know what cartridge is in which slot.
 Make sure your operational procedure doesn't include adding or removing a
tape without the corresponding checkin/checkout.

On the other hand, things can become confused for no apparent reason.  You
state that an Audit library seems to put you back to normal.  I worked with
a DLT7700 yesterday.  I found the numbering of the slots confusing at first
glance.  I'm going to mark on the tape caddy the ADSM element address for
each slot so I don't become confused.  Perhaps this might help you out as
well.

The tape manipulation stuff in ADSM is rather a pain.  Unfortunately, ADSM
will direct you to do something, and unless you tell it to check your work
(checklabel=yes) you can put a cartridge in the wrong slot and then tell
ADSM you put it into the correct slot.  I guess the short answer is be
careful and never, never, never lie to ADSM.

Kelly