ADSM-L

Archiving Databases stored on Novell Servers

1997-10-29 09:59:24
Subject: Archiving Databases stored on Novell Servers
From: Tim Dobrowolsky <tim AT CATRS.CAT.CC.MD DOT US>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:59:24 -0500
I have databases stored on Novell servers that are becoming mission critcal.
Unfortunately these databases (Access mainly) either don't support archiving
or we don't have the staff the manually archive them.  I would like to use ADSM
to produce monthly archives of these db's in addition to daily backups.

I've considered two schemes:

1.  Every month have the Novell server via cron.nlm create a copy of the
    db.  Then create a separate management class with a copy frequency of
    30 days to pick up the copied file.  The bad thing about this is the
    db has to double in size at least overnight to be backed up.  I'd do
    this the standard incremental backup.  The advantage of this would be
    that the mechinism I have step up for offsite backups would automatically
    include these "archives".

2.  Do the same as #1 except run archiving each month.  The part I'm not
certain     of is can I specify a separate retention time period for my
archived db?
    Without affecting my regular archives, which I have no retention limit?

I think number 2 is the way to go.  But what is everyone out there doing?

Thanks as always.