ADSM-L

Observations on Restore Volume

1997-10-24 12:35:48
Subject: Observations on Restore Volume
From: Ted Spendlove <SPENDEE AT THIOKOL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:35:48 -0600
Observations on Restore Volume

>>> Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> 10/24/97 09:47am >>>
. . . Deleted material ...
    The restore took some 20 hours over three days.
... more deletions ...

Richard, et al

Our experience with restoration of prime pool tape volumes from copy pool
volumes has been
quite different.  I suspect that the big difference is the server environment.
We are running it on
MVS with a STK silo and comparatively,  lots of tape drives (24).  Since we
still have ADSM data
on old 3480 cartridges, we have occasional media failures.   It can take a day
to get the copy
tapes back from the off site vault, but once in the local library the recovery
runs quickly,
generally in no more than 15 or 20 minutes.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment that server resource consumption is
excessive.  I
feel that to be true of most ADSM functions, not just restore.  ADSM has become
our "prime"
CPU consumer -  larger than our online systems (CICS), time sharing systems
(TSO) or even
batch!

Ted Spendlove
Thiokol Corp.