ADSM-L

NT Backup and Logical Drive Problems

1997-10-24 09:28:24
Subject: NT Backup and Logical Drive Problems
From: "Boyce, Thomas" <BOYCET AT NIGMS.NIH DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:28:24 -0400
I too am using (uh, attempting to use) ADSM on a NT Client to backup
network server drives. Previously, I had this setup and functioning
perfectly with a Windows Client (meaning the Client, first Windows, and
now NT, are logged into and mapped to all the NT server drives I wish to
backup).

There were two messages in today's digest that both basically said the
same thing, we are getting permission denied at the file level. It
appears as if someone from ADSM support replied trying to say that each
and every group the backup account belongs to has to have the correct
permissions, the message stated:

        "I've also found that if the account belongs to more than one
group, *each*
        group must have these rights. If one group does not have the
rights, then the
        account does not have the right."

As an NT administrator, I can tell you that this is NOT True. A case in
point is that most administrators belong to the "Domain Users" group -
however, you would never want to grant these other rights
(backup/restore) to the entire "Domain Users" group.

Just to humor those that have inquiring minds, I created an ADSMUSER
account, made the account (using the NT User Manager) made domain
administrators the default group, removed ADSMUSER from DOMAIN USERS,
and made sure both DOMAIN ADMINS, the only group membership the account
has, and the account ADSMUSER both have the right to backup/restore and
manage the security information. I have set the service to logon as this
ADSMUSER, and get the following errors:
(these are just samples copied from various lines).

10/24/1997 08:37:32  FioGetOneDirEntry(): *** Access to NTFS file
security information denied, file/dir skipped ***
10/24/1997 08:37:32  fioGetAttrib(): getFileSecuritySize(E:\DATA1)
failed
10/24/1997 08:37:32  TransWin32RC(): Win32 RC 1314 from fioGetAttrib():
getFileSecuritySize
10/24/1997 08:37:32  ANS4228E Sending of object 'E:\DATA1' failed
10/24/1997 08:37:32  ANS4090E Access to the specified file or directory
is denied

If you have the ADSM server start as a system account, it does not even
have access to the logically mapped drives. Any help in resolving this
problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Tom Boyce
Chief, PC & Network Section
IRMB NIH/NIGMS