ADSM-L

Re: PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE - problem

1997-10-22 17:34:44
Subject: Re: PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE - problem
From: "Mark J. Cecil" <mjc AT WAYLOO.TCS.TULANE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:34:44 -0500

> I'm not sure what you mean by "implicit" vs. "explicit". Whereas I can see how
> the issues of where to place the NODENAME option can cause confusion, such
> placement should not automatically (or implicitly) grant root-level rights to
> the data, unless you've also given them the ADSM password.
>
> By the way, the confusion over where NODENAME goes is being addressed in V3.
> NODENAME will still go in dsm.sys, but for dsm.opt it is being replaced with
> VIRTUALNODENAME.

"Implicit interpretation" is more toward what I meant.  There is no reason for
the same keyword to mean two different things based on which of two files
it appears in.  Fortunately, it seems that the development team seems to
have recognized that this makes no sense, as well.

Anyhow, accidental misplacement of the NODENAME keyword doesn't accidentally
grant root-level rights, but accidentally denies user-level rights, due
to the automatic password verification mechanism.  In a large environment,
it would be easy to make this mistake (especially if individual workstation
owners were installing ADSM clients for themselves), and in a lot of cases
the workstation owner is not willing to spend the time more carefully reading
his client documentation (yes, I know, RTFM) to determine what the admittedly
subtle differences are between locating a keyword in an OPT file or a SYS
file.

I'm curious if there are any other keywords that are interpreted differently
based on their location...

Mark

--
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================