ADSM-L

Re: ADSM & ATM

1997-10-22 12:00:49
Subject: Re: ADSM & ATM
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:00:49 -0400
We have a dedicated 155Mbit ATM network for ADSM backups.  We are using
Classical IP over ATM not LAN Emulation.  The clients consist of HP-UX and
AIX servers which all connect to two Cisco ATM switches.  The switches
connect to a Cisco Router which is attached to the MVS system via and ESCON
channel using a Cisco CIP card in the router.  We went with Classical IP
instead of LANE because the HP and IBM network interface cards in the UNIX
boxes only supported Classical IP. Throughput is about 3.5MB to 4MB per
second using FTP.  We are using TCP/IP offload with the CIP card and
suspect we may see better throughput when we upgrade from MVS TCP/IP 3.1 to
3.2 also.  I have also purchased an IBM 2216 Multi-access connector(IBM
router) to be used as a dedicated gateway for sending ADSM backups over the
same ATM LAN to MVS.  This will provide me with multiple paths into the
mainframe for ADSM data. During my evaluation of the 2216 I was able to get
around 5MB/sec with FTP.  The Cisco uses the CLAW for it's mainframe
communications and is limited to a 4k MTU/packet size.  Since we were using
offload with the CIP  the maximum value we could used for
DATABUFFERPOOLSIZE on MVS TCP/IP was 32k.  The 2216 doesn't use CLAW and
the MTU in our case was limited by the UNIX client which max allowed is 9k.
I could also use a DATABUFFERPOOLSIZE of 262k in MVS TCP/IP with the 2216
and performance got better each time I increased the buffers up to that
value. The 2216 also attaches to the MVS system via an ESCON channel and
you can have up to four channels per 2216.  The work can be load balanced
across the ESCON channels.  The 2216 supports most network attachments,
155Mbit ATM, Faster Ethernet, Ethernet, Token-ring, etc.  To me, based on
cost and performance, the 2216 was a better deal than buying an additional
Cisco CIP for another router.  Hopefully it will turn out to be a good
choice.
 We also have an OSA-2 but have been unable to use it since the ATM OSA-2
only supports LAN Emulation.  I've been told that Classical IP support is
coming 1Q98.  I've also heard that in general you can get better
performance using Classical IP than with LANE.  Although I have no way of
proving that and it's not my area of expertise so I don't know how much
truth there is to that statement.  Hope this helps.. If you need more
detail let me know at CONNORJ AT NIMO DOT COM.

Other Background:
  ADSM for MVS v2.1.10
 MVS 4.2.2 on a 9672-R54
TCP/IP for MVS v3.1