ADSM-L

Re: File Ownership

1997-10-21 08:53:07
Subject: Re: File Ownership
From: Thomas Sandholm <sandholm AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:53:07 -0400
Jerry,
Thanks for the reply.  But I'll correct you on the ownership/ in otherwords,
the UID & GID of the files.  ADSM must
absolutely keep track of the ownerships, the user & group info, as well as the
permissions, for all clients, otherwise
the product would be useless, as a restoration would restore the files under
possibly some other user id.  I know
that the GUI client of ADSM will give me the option of viewing the Owner and
Group memberships of the files
that have been backed up.
  What I'm trying to accomplish....a junior admin of ours had inadvertantly
chown'd all the files in /home...as a result
we were able to restore ownerships of some of the home directories, but we've
got some directories in home, that
do not have corresponding account references in /etc/passwd, so it's anybodies
guess as to who originally owned
the directories/files.  I didn't want to do an entire restore of the /home
directory, but was just looking to query adsm
for the ownerships/group memberships, and permissions of those files backed up,
and pass that data to a chown-script
that would put everything back on track...
  You know, actually, that would be a VERY USEFUL feature for ADSM, to do a
"restore permissions/ownerships", option,
to correct just such situations.

Thomas F. Sandholm
Sr. UNIX Administrator
Consumer Driven Solutions Unit