ADSM-L

Re: Need Some Help With Suggestion WIth Backup Solution USing ADSM

1997-10-15 01:13:54
Subject: Re: Need Some Help With Suggestion WIth Backup Solution USing ADSM
From: Noel Hermans <nhermans AT CONNECT DOT BE>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:13:54 +0200
At 15:33 14/10/97 PDT, you wrote:
>Hi,
>    I was writing a project on DATA backup using ADSM.Now if anyone
>could suggest to me problems that u encounter daily with ADSM, solutions
>and areas that u feel that development should be done, please email
>me.The features of ADSM that should be tapped and problems and how to
>work around that...
>
>Thanks

Hello,

We are using ADSM V2.1 in a SP2 environment (UNIX). This means that one node
is a backup server and all other nodes are clients. In addition also
backup our NOVELL environment.
To automate all kind of backups it is not easy done by ADSM. What we did : we
developed a LAYER (UNIX scripting) for ADSM so that easily schedule backups.
Goals :

        - Central logging system of all kind of backups
        - Make it work with a scheduler
        - Use of central parameter files on only one node
        - One script on only ONE node so that this
          script can be easily maintained. There are
         NO scripts on the rest of the nodes.
        - When we add a additional node, we don't need
         to change or copy the script to that node.
          Only an extra parameter needs to be defined so
         that we specify which kind of backups we need on
          that node.
        - Central logging of return codes to see if a backup
         is OK or NOT OK and why.
        - Foreground / Background scheduling
        - Possibility to specify time limits on a backupstep
        - Addtinoals SMIT panels for operations on ADSM.
       - ...

Remarks :

I think we made the rigth choice to choose for ADSM but there
are also some small problems like : archiving links, tape
reclamation, ... but we have work arounds for these small
problems.

Hope this gives you an idea how whe are using ADSM,

Regards,

Noel Hermans
System Enginieer
CONNECT NV