ADSM-L

ADSM Version 3 announce for AIX, NT, and MVS

1997-10-13 14:55:52
Subject: ADSM Version 3 announce for AIX, NT, and MVS
From: Rick Barlow <rick_barlow AT NATIONWIDE.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:55:52 EDT
On 10/09/97 at 12:39, Dr. Gretchen Thiele asked:

>Hmmmm... time for an electronic show of hands! How many listers are
>using ADSM on VM (be it version 1 or version 2)? Will not having V3
>force your company/institution rethink ADSM as your backup solution?
>
>My official title is 'ADSM Systems Programmer' and I just had cards
>made - it'd be a shame to have to throw them away....
>
>Shy listers can respond to me privately.
>
>Gretchen Thiele
>Princeton University

As in many other organizations, the management's 'anti-mainframe' bias needs
very little reason to look for lower performance, higher cost distributed
tools to do almost any function.  A not-so-small excuse like the lack of
current support for ADSM is more than enough to make management consider
other tools.

We are already struggling to maintain ADSM as the preferred tool due to the
incorrect measurement of the cost of other alternative tools.  The distributed
platform support people continue to underestimate the cost of hardware,
software and people to make distributed tools look cheap.  The high
performance, reliability and features of ADSM on VM keep it in our
environment.  If it does not continue to be enhanced to support newer clients
and other features, I do not expect it to take long before an alternate
(albeit probably inferior) product to be selected.

*