ADSM-L

ADSM on VM

1997-10-12 07:04:32
Subject: ADSM on VM
From: Cecelia Dusha <DUSHA AT PENTAGON-HQDADSS.ARMY DOT MIL>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 07:04:32 EDT
>>>hmmmm... time for an electronic show of hands! How many listers are
>>>using ADSM on VM (be it version 1 or version 2)? Will not having V3
>>>force your company/institution rethink ADSM as your backup
>>>solution?
>>

>South Dakota State University is running ADSM Version 2 on VM 2.2.0.
>We recently used ADSM VM as part of our justification to upgrade our
>processor to a Multiprise 2000.  Currently we are trying to get
>approval for RAMAC and Magstar technology.  Again we are using
>ADSM VM as justification.   Without ADSM VM we probably
>will not move to RAMAC and Magstar.  Although we have OS/390
>running as a guest under VM, we have no intention of moving ADSM
>to it.  Our Netware people have been waiting for improvements
>in performance on Version 3.  Without a version 3 VM server
>we will be forced to move our Netware backups to non IBM software and
>hardware.

We have ADSM version 1 under VM/ESA 1.2.1 and ADSM version 2 under
VM/ESA 2.1.0.  We need ADSM version 3 available to VM/ESA so that we
can offer services which match non IBM software and hardware - otherwise
our customers will find a different solution.

Cecelia Dusha
US Army Systems Programmer
dusha AT pentagon-hqdadss.army DOT mil