ADSM-L

Re: Merging ADSM Storage Pools

1997-10-10 22:29:56
Subject: Re: Merging ADSM Storage Pools
From: Dennis Lovelady <DennisLovelady AT KEMET DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:29:56 -0400
Hello, all:

Well, I have finally reached my frustration tolerance level.  :^(

We had ADSM installed fairly recently by a contractor.  I don't
believe much of the configuration was done correctly (or, more
specifically, it does not function the way we would like it to).
I would like to hear what others have to say about our options,
and how _you_ might set it up.

Our initial ADSM site is fairly simple.  We have:
   SP with two high nodes
       One node has the server and admin. client, the other node
       is a client.
   (2) 3590 drives attached to the server node
   SP switch for communications between the nodes

The way the contractor set this up, each of the drives is effectively
allocated by one node.  There are two tape libraries, two tape pools,
etc.  Each node has one tape library, one tape pool, one backup pool,
.. well, you get the idea.

We _do_ want backups from both nodes to be capable of running
simultaneously.  We _do_ want to prevent mixing node backups on one
tape (did I word that right?).  But we do _not_ want to be constrained
in such a way that the tapes intended for a specific node must be
mounted in a specific drive; and (more importantly) we do _not_ want
to be unable to do backups when one of the drives is failed (as it
is right now, for the fourth time).

Do we ask too much?  It seems to me that we should be able to pull
this off.  Otherwise, how in the world will we ever survive when we
begin backing up our 60+ Novell / NT servers via ADSM?  60+
drives???!!!

I know I can't expect a "here's exactly how you do it" reply from
this list, but a few pointers as far as capabilities and options
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your tolerance.  We have a very small staff for our
Unix/AIX/Oracle administration, and too little time allocated for
training in this area.  I greatly appreciate the help.

Dennis Lovelady

(Hi, Kai.)

  (The following signature looks right only with a fixed-pitch font)
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*      _                                                      _       *
*  _ / /                  Dennis Lovelady                     \ \ _   *
* ( ( ()    _      Unix / AIX System Administrator       _    () ) )  *
*\         /            Dennis AT Lovelady DOT com               \         / *
* \       /          Dennis.Lovelady AT KEMET DOT com             \       /  *
   [[[|]]]               Simpsonville, SC.                  [[[|]]](  *