ADSM-L

ADSM on VM

1997-10-10 09:56:41
Subject: ADSM on VM
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:56:41 EDT
Here's another vote for ADSM on VM.  Its been rock solid for us for a very
long time (we were one of the first ADSM customers) and have no desire
to move to a different platform.  If we do, it will only be because IBM
forced us to it.  In fact, it appears to me that ADSM management would
prefer that we move to a non-IBM platform rather than run it on a
proven S/390 platform such as VM and our 9672.  We are an 'all IBM' shop.
It would really be amusing to walk into my manager's office and request
an HP server in order to run ADSM.   It would be like a scene from 'Dilbert'.

One of the arguments I keep hearing is that not enough VM/ADSM customers
bought v2 to justify a v3.  That's just a lot of smoke however.  Long before
there was a v2, IBM was saying that there would be no more development for
ADSM/VM.  Then, they grudingly gave us v2, which offered us very little.
Even if every VM customer bought v2, I doubt it would be enough to change
any minds in ADSM management.  Its just another example of the 'scorpion'
mentality that seems to permeate the upper levels of IBM management (ie.
one part trying to kill another part).

The only thing that seems to be waning is IBM's interest in keeping customers.

Martha