ADSM-L

ADSM through a firewall

1997-10-08 13:45:24
Subject: ADSM through a firewall
From: Bill Anderson <banderson AT ALLINA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 12:45:24 -0500
I apologize if this question has been asked before but I am new to the
list.

We use Raptor's Eagle firewall.  We have RS/6000s on our "DMZ" and we
have a need to back them up via ADSM.  Our ADSM servers reside on our
corporate network which connects to the firewall for Internet and
business partner access.  The diagram below describes our situation:

                                       Internet

                        DMZ - -  Firewall

                              Corporate Network

When we initiate a backup of an RS/6000 on the DMZ from the ADSM server
on our corporate network, a Sniffer trace shows that ADSM is attempting
to talk directly to our firewall and not to the RS/6000 we are trying to
back up.  When I use a VPN type (packet filtering) connection through
our firewall to the DMZ, backups work fine.  However, when I try to use
a generic service passer on the firewall (application proxies at ports
1500 and 1501), I get the error mentioned above (attempting to talk
directly to the firewall).

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there a solution that allows
ADSM to work via an application proxy on a firewall?

Thanks.

Bill Anderson
Allina Health System
banderson AT allina DOT com