ADSM-L

Re: Problems with ADSM and windows sp3

1997-10-07 12:22:56
Subject: Re: Problems with ADSM and windows sp3
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 12:22:56 EDT
On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:56:11 -0400 Robinson, Cris said:
>Interesting -
>Do you have any activity log messages? I have had the following
>messages:
>
>Activity Log
>-------------
>Date and Time        Message

>10/06/1997 20:00:22  ANR9999D tcpcomm.c(380): No buffer space is
>available. The socket cannot be connected.
>10/06/1997 20:00:22  ANR2716E Schedule prompter was not able to contact
>client DOVER-SVC-01 using type 1 (147.109.202.177 1501).
>10/06/1997 20:01:24  ANR9999D tcpcomm.c(380): No buffer space is
>available. The socket cannot be connected.
>10/06/1997 20:01:25  ANR9999D tcpcomm.c(380): No buffer space is
>available. The socket cannot be connected.
>

>        Thanks -
>__________________________

We also have been seeing the ANR9999D tcpcomm.c(380) error msgs. In fact
we have an etr open with IBM on the problem.

IBM says that the adsm srv makes a call to the tcp/ip stack and gets an
error return. Then adsm puts out the above message. The 380 is the line
number of the adsm source code.

We had our PC support folks looking at the error and they have found nothing
yet.

We have been looking around a little bit, trying to build up a better
understanding of the problem.

After the adsm server runs for a few days a  Windows NT dos command of
netstat -a produces 38K  bytes of output. With pages of socket connections
made up of listens. Each day the list gets longer.
If the adsm server is stopped with the adsm halt command and the netstat -a
command repeated we get 2k bytes of output that fits on less then a
screen.

Now this windows nt server is only used for ADSM so we should not have a
problem with other applications. And when the problem showed up last time
we were only using about 80 meg of 262meg real and 500 meg virtual memory
per task manager.

At this time, we believe that halting and restarting the server will keep us
from having unscheduled outages.

I believe it would be nice if as a future design change IBM could
print out what command was asked of the tcp/ip stack and what return code(s)
were returned.

Please let us know if anyone has a solution.

Thanks len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513