ADSM-L

urgent: a couple of questions

1997-10-07 09:01:42
Subject: urgent: a couple of questions
From: Michael Hagen <Michael.Hagen AT GECITS-EU DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 14:01:42 +0100
Hallo, ADSMers !!!
I have some questions about ADSM on AIX! We want to save a SAP R/3 system
with a ADABAS database on an IBM SP machine. One of the SP nodes ist the
ADSM server. This node is connected with an IBM 3590 Tape Library with two
devices.

Apart from the ordinary file systems we are backing up the ADABAS database
and its logfiles. The backup of the Database and logfiles are done via an
ADSM API. This API uses the archive copy group of the default Management
Class, and doesn´t use the backup copy group. So for obtaining different
lengths of time to retain (it depends on whether I want to do a daily or a
monthly backup. A monthly backup has to be retained for several years,
whereas the daily backups has to be retained for 60 days), I used different
MCs. But I could not find a way to determ another MC for such a backup than
the default one. For realizing backups in different MCs, I changed the
default MC, started the backup and it works. But now my question:

1.) When I changed the default MC for a backup on the second devices does
this influence a running backup on the first device?

We have had some problems with an incremental backup of lots of file,
because the ADSM database was full.

2.) Is there any possiblility to get a warning message if the database is
full for e.g. 90% ?

But now my main problem: In the middle of May I changed the "length of time
to retain archive version" of the archive copy group of the Standard MC
from 100 days to "no limit". This was my last change of this MC. After
this, obviously no tape apears with "stgdelete" in the volume history. In
August I created some other MCs for rearranging all the backups, as I
described above, and no backup did go to the MC Standard any longer. After
this, some administrators deleted some tapes of the MC Standard, containing
useless data. They only kept the tapes with the important data, which
should be retain with no limt.

3.) But some weeks ago, I started losing these important tapes of the MC
Standard. They did not belong to any Storage Pool any longer. Doese anyone
of you have any idea how this can happen? The "length of time to retain
archive version" still has no limit. First I thought that I lose all the
archive data which are older than 100 days (the length of retention time
before my last change of this MC), so that the last changes doesn´t become
effective. But this can´t be the reason, because the data lost started some
weeks ago. But after the last change of this archive copy group (in May) it
worked, because no tape was deleted from the storage pool. I have no
idea...

Apart from this I have another small question:

4.) In our activity log there are data stored which are not older than 1
day. How can I increase this period of time?

Thank you in advance for your help. Hoping for lots of usefull answers.

Michael.

Me ektimissi - Yours sincerely

Michael Hagen
CompuNet Essen
System Engineering
Severinstrasse 42, 45127 Essen, Germany
Phone: 0201/2012-289, Fax: 0201/2012-123