ADSM-L

Re: Microsoft SQL Server

1997-09-30 20:00:25
Subject: Re: Microsoft SQL Server
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:00:25 -0400
In <34315F5E.AC3 AT humana DOT com>, on 09/30/97 at 04:21 PM,
   Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM> said:

>I just found out we need to backup a Microsoft SQL server.  I have a
>Using ADSM to backup databases paper from March that says ADSM
>development is working on an ADSMConnect Agent for the Microsoft SQL
>server.  Does anyone know the status of that?  If you have the MS SQL
>server, how are you backing it up?  Offline?  With Seagate's
>BackupExec? Any recommendations?

I dump the SQL databases to disk files on a fileserver, then let the
backup of the fileserver backup the dump files.  Backups are online
and versioned nicely.  You still need to keep one backup of the
database device files on tape in order to provide for disaster
recovery, and you need enough free space on the fileserver to hold the
dumps, but it works very well.

Keith Medcalf       (416) 410-5791       http://www.dessus.com/ IBM
OS/2, LAN Server, DB2, TCP/IP, DOS, Windows 95,  Windows NT
 Finger or email kmedcalf-pgp AT dessus DOT com for my PGP Public Key