ADSM-L

[no subject]

1997-09-29 21:47:08
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:47:08 PDT
>From:         Wayne Gorton <wayneg AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
>Subject:      db2, adsm & versions
>To:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>
>Howdy all,
>Let me start by saying I am responsible for ADSM, I know very little about DB
>& SAP R/3, these are s.e.p.
>
>We are current running DB2 version 2.1.2 PTF level U446791B. Using DB2ADUTL t
>backup a SAP R/3 database to ADSM version 2.1.5.12. What it turns out to be
>doing is storing the full database backups into ADSM, so we now have 80 copie
>of them. The system default is to keep 7 versions. My theory is that DB2ADUTL
>stores them in ADSM without attaching them to a management class.
>Does anyone have any similar experiences?
>
>Also the doco (R/3 note no. 67789) say "DELETE only sets an object to the
>status of inactive. Everything else will be determined by the server
>parameters". We went ahead & deleted 10 backups via smit, which uses DB2ADUTL
>But a Q OCC still displays 80 files, even after I ran an EXPIRE INVENTORY.
>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>There was mention on Universal DataBase allowing a MGM to be passed. What
>version of DB2 is this?
>
>Role:                               Unix System Administrator
>Style:                              The Thinking Man's Clown
>Name:                               wayneg AT au1.ibm DOT com

Wayne, db2adutl doesn't do the backups...the db2 backup command does.  The
db2adutl utility is for querying and deleting the backups from ADSM.  When`
db2 sends backups to adsm it will use the mgmt class defaults, unless others
are included in the options file.  So, your 7 versions system default is
what is causing the files not to be deleted....you should use a mgmt class
with 0 extra versions (inactive versions).  Then when you delete with
db2adutl and the object is made inactive, it will be deleted when file
expiration next occurs.
thanks, Cyndie Behrens (IBM SanJose)