ADSM-L

Re: Win32 client hangs during incremental backup.

1997-09-25 15:10:58
Subject: Re: Win32 client hangs during incremental backup.
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 14:10:58 -0500
Joe,

  I for one have no great ideas for you.  The things I would look for are
obvious signs of the machine running out of resources or messages in the
client error and sched logs.  If a resource shortage seems possible, you
might attempt to use the slowincremental option in your dsm.opt

Otherwise, I suggest you go to your IBM rep and see if they can help you.
Based upon my limited experience they will likely have you attempt the
backup with a trace.

I am assuming that the backup does not lock up on the same file each time.
If so, attempt to exclude that file and see what happens.

Good luck,
  Dan T.

----------
> From: Joseph A. Faracchio <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
> From: Joseph A. Faracchio <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: Win32 client hangs during incremental backup.
> Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 12:12 PM
>
> Sorry, here's more details:
>
> Client sees ADSM hang in the middle of a file (usually a large file)
> & I get the following at the server:
>
>   ANR0481W SESSION 1833 TERMINATED - CLIENT DID NOT RESPOND WITHIN 999
>        (if running an Incremental directly from GUI)
> or
>   ANR0480W SESSION 7235 TERMINATED - CONNECTION WITH CLIENT SEVERED.
>        (if running an Incremental via Scheduler)
>
> The user is at a 'remote' location and so I thought it was the link being
slow
> but I've increased COMMTIMEOUT from 999 to 1999 and it just times out
> 1000 seconds later, after hanging.
>
> I remember having this problem with Macs because they had a duplicate
file-
> spaces in some cases or the tcpbuffer tcpwindow parms were at maximum but
those
> situations are not the case this time.
>
>   ... joe.f.
>

> SPGJAF @ CMSA.Berkeley.Edu    also ... USUCA886 @ IBMMAIL via x.400
> University of Calif. at Berkeley  510-642-7638 (work) 527-1933 (home)
>
> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 17:36:53 PDT "Joseph A. Faracchio" said:
> >We have a couple of users that switched from a Windows 31 workstation
> >to a Windows 95 (Dell) computer and they cannot get the first
incremental
> >backup to complete on their new computers.
> >
> >These users installed the win32 client (it says "PTF 6" in the program
popup)
> >and are re-using the same nodeid name.
> >
> >I've search IBM Link and looked over recent ADSM-l mail I've been
> >accumulating but have found no clues.
> >
> >Is this familiar to anyone or should I open up a problem report with
IBM???