ADSM-L

Re: HSM function with NT clients

1997-09-24 12:52:03
Subject: Re: HSM function with NT clients
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 12:52:03 -0400
I've been watching this thread and would like to through in my opinion for
any IBM'ers listening in.

I feel that for ADSM to be the number one storage management product it
must offer HSM support for Windows NT and Netware in the future.  I realize
that with the broad number of platforms supported by ADSM, IBM can't expect
to be everything to everbody.  It is also nice that they have at least
partnered with another company so that HSM fuctionality can be provided
today.  But, as many people pointed out on this list before, using AvailHSM
with ADSM is an expensive option.    It may be cheaper just to buy more
disk as one person pointed out.  I think what most ADSM customers would
like to hear is that IBM has partnered with Eastman to bring HSM
functionality to ADSM  today BUT it will be added to ADSM in the future.
Running short on disk space is a common problem with Netware and Windows NT
servers at many companies.  I think it's common enough that IBM should plan
on offering HSM support for Windows NT and Netware in the future as
competing products like Arcserve already have.  Dealing with another
vendor, licensing, support, additional hardware, etc, is not the best long
term Windows NT/Netware HSM solution for ADSM in my opinion.
What do you other ADSM customers think?

thompsod @ USAA.COM
09/23/97 04:44 PM