ADSM-L

Re: excluding dir names with dots in them

1997-09-24 09:33:36
Subject: Re: excluding dir names with dots in them
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:33:36 -0400
EXCLUDE /root.b
   This will cause a *file* called "root.b" in the root file system to be
excluded.

EXCLUDE /.../root.b/.../
   I'm not sure what this will do. It might cause any *file* called "root.b" in
the
root file system, or any subdirectory within root, to be excluded. But that's
just
a guess, as this is an incomplete syntax.

EXCLUDE /root.b/*
   This will cause all files directly under /root.b to be excluded. It will
*not*
exclude files within subdirectories of /root.b. For example, /root.b/myfile1.txt
will be excluded, but /root.b/mydir/myfile1.txt will *not* be excluded.

EXCLUDE /root\.b
   I'm not sure what this will do. It might cause a file called ".b" located in
the directory called "/root" to be excluded.

EXCLUDE /root.b/.../*
   This will cause any file in /root.b (and subdirectories of /root.b) to be
excluded. This is probably the specification you are looking for.

EXCLUDE /.../root.b/.../*
   This will cause any file in any directory called /root.b (and its
subdirectories) *in the root file system* to be excluded.

It is important to note that the file system name must be coded as part of the
INCLUDE or EXCLUDE statement. Thus all of these examples pertain to the / (root)
file system only (assuming that, as has been stated, root.b is a directory and
not a file system). For example, if I want to exclude all files called
MYFILE.TXT
in the / and /home file systems, I will need *two* EXCLUDE statements:

EXCLUDE /.../MYFILE.TXT
EXCLUDE /HOME/.../MYFILE.TXT

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck