ADSM-L

Re: ADSM steps for COPYPOOL/offsite

1997-09-17 11:46:01
Subject: Re: ADSM steps for COPYPOOL/offsite
From: Beach Shelby <dcal20 AT SBEACH.TEALE.CA DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:46:01 -0700
>We have recently installed ADSM, and are looking for guidelines. I would
>like to know what steps others are using for copying their tapes to a
>copypool, and sending them offsite.  We have tried to accomplish this
>with a ksh script, but we have run into problems since we can't seem to
>control the order of server actions

Dennis,

We are also using the administrative command scheduler in ADSM to copy our
on-site storage pools to an off-site storage pool. Some additional things
that you might want to consider...

We have collocation enabled for our on-site tape storage pools but
disabled for the off-site pool. We do this so as to reduce the number of
tapes that are sent off-site every day. I guess one could also reduce the
frequency of copying to the off-site storage pool (but by doing it daily
we can take advantage of the next step)

We copy from our disk storage pool before performing disk pool to
on-site tape pool migration (which is also controlled by scheduled
commands which manipulate the high threshold on the disk storage pool).
This results in essentially a disk-to-tape copy rather that a tape-to-tape
copy.

After copying the disk pool to tape, we copy the on-site tape pool to
the off-site tape pool. This picks up anything we might have missed in the
prior step (e.g. the file never went to disk because it was too large and
we sent it straight to tape or due to some sort of an outage, we missed
backing the files up while they were still on disk).

Hope this helps.
Shelby
Shelby Lynne Beach
Shelby Lynne Beach