ADSM-L

Re: Migration

1997-09-15 14:05:12
Subject: Re: Migration
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:05:12 -0700
Morris.Marshael wrote:

>      I am new to adsm and will appreciate any help you might be able to
>      give me.  I have a stgpool on an AIX 4.2 system that is migrating off
>      to tape.  Question:
>
>                 How do I make a nightly migration tape?

You don't really create a migration tape. You need to define a tape
pool, then, in the migration settings of your primary disk pool set the
new tape pool as the next pool in line.
You control the migration with the migration thresholds. To control our
migration timing, we leave our migration high near 100% (low is 50%).
After the nightly backups and copy pool are completed, we lower the high
threshold to migrate our primary pool down to 50%, leaving enough free
space for the next nights backups.(Our diskpools are large enough to
hold aprox. 4 nights backups, so freeing up 50% is usually more than
enough). If you don't have a lot of disk space, you may need to migrate
all data. Note: once you migrate data from the diskpool, it is only
available from the tape for restores, unless you use cache. Using cache
does have overhead though.