ADSM-L

Re: Encryption for ADSM available ?

1997-09-15 11:38:35
Subject: Re: Encryption for ADSM available ?
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:38:35 -0500
Axel,
  Since you did not specify the OS of the client platform I cannot make any
specific reccomendations as to an encryption software package.  One
solution is to only backup a specific data area via ADSM and on the client
run an encryption package to encrypt critical files to that data area.

We have looked at the utilization of ADSM for critical data before and
decided we did not need any further encryption for the following reasons.
a) You cannot get to a nodes data via adsm without knowing that nodes
password.  If it is critical enough only the customer need know that
password.

b) ADSM does not send the password over the line in the clear.

c) The data on the host side is stored in an ADSM proprietary format which
would difficult for anyone to hack into, if they are able to gain the type
of access to your host to attempt such an exercise.

Good luck,
  Dan T.

PS.  Despite the above, I would love for adsm to support encryption either
at the client or host end.  Perhaps we should write a 3rd party product
that uses ADSM's API?  Anyone Game?