ADSM-L

New ADSM user questions

2015-10-04 18:05:24
Subject: New ADSM user questions
From: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: internet.adsml at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 9/12/97 9:24PM
Date: 9/12/97 4:53PM
Jerry

Author:  Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date:    9/12/97 9:24 PM

Dana -

Welcome to the list and to ADSM - you should be very pleased with your choice
of ADSM.

I can provide some answers for you, hopefully, someone else can provide the
rest for you...

1.  I am afraid that you have some bad advice from IBM on the DR issues.
When Version 2 came out, I proposed the same configuration to an ADSM
designer at a GUIDE meeting, and he told me that this will NOT work.  The
reason is that copypool tapes are written so that they are only readable on
the platform type that they were written on.  Therefore, a copypool tape can
be moved to another MVS machine at a DR site, but not to an AIX machine (or
vice - versa).  What your IBMer was probably thinking about was Export tapes
these are intended for movement between platforms, and are universally
acceptable.  However, Export tapes are not intended for DR, and are threfore
not suited to what you propose.

You do have a critical point though - your DR site is in another city
possibly from where an office location might get built - so how do you
restore from one place to another.  We have this same problem, and have not
fully resolved it yet.  We looked at T3 lines, but they need to be in place
now - the Telco will not run one for you in response to a disaster - at least
not in a timely manner, most likely. And they are expensive.  One solution I
looked at, and believe to be viable, is the System 390 server - the one built
on the Server 700, with an OS/390 card inside.  The Server runs OS/2, to
support the OS/390 card which can run MVS (or VM, or VSE, but see above).
You can attach the 3490 devices via a bus/tag card, and there you are - it
won't keep up with a Hitachi Skyline, but if all you ned it for is to do ADSM
restores, it should keep up its end of the bargain, given the situation.

2.  I do not use the 3995, but I believe I remember seeing that it was
supported.  ADSM would use the standard I/O support that is built in, I
believe, so you shouldn't have to have DB2, etc.  - but I am not certain of
this.  I would expect it to not be any different conceptually than the other
supported devices.  Perhaps someone else out there has one....?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    9/12/97 4:53 PM

Hello All,

We are getting ready to take the plunge to ADSM and I have a few
questions that I would appreciate anyone's opinions on:

1) We will be running the ADSM server on MVS backing up to 3490's but
our DR plan doesn't state that the Novell servers will be rebuilt close to
the MVS recovery site (the servers will be close to where the users end
up, MVS could be at any of the provider's sites).  IBM tells me that
backup tapes created on MVS can be used to recover clients using say
an AIX server.  But has anyone done this?  Is it possible?  Feasable? etc.

2) What kinds of options do I have for archive to optical from an MVS
server?  Does ADSM suport channel attached 3995?  Does it  require
OAM? (and DB2) or would it make sense to have an auxiliary server (like
AIX or NT) just for things like optical archive?

Thanks in advance for any input
Dana