ADSM-L

(new) HSM questions (Was: HSM: recreating stub files)

1997-09-15 06:38:40
Subject: (new) HSM questions (Was: HSM: recreating stub files)
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:38:40 +0200
I wrote:
>I have serious problems with recreating stub files that were
>deleted from a local file system.
>A "dsmc q backup" gives two entries, one active and one inactive.
>After doing "dsmmigundelete" to recreate the stub file, the file
>isn't recreated.
>After doing "dsmmigundelete -Expiring", the inactive version is
>recreated. I like to restore the most recent = active versions.

>DO I MISS SOMETHING, or do I have serious problems?

>(actually I had to restore a complete 30Gb filesystem with more then
> 15000 migrated files and 4500 files are restored with an old inactive
> version)

 Yes, I think I missed something. The 'real' solution is using the
 restore function with RESTOREMIGSTATE option set on.

 So I start all over again, now using the command :
 dsmc restore -restoremigstate=yes -subdir=yes /filesystem, which ended
 successfully :

 Restore processing finished.
 Total number of objects restored:    15,312
 Total number of bytes transferred:     20.8 GB
 Data transfer time:                1,719.61 sec
 Data transfer rate:                12,685.31 KB/sec
 Total failures:                           0
 Elapsed processing time:           01:37:59

 But, dsmdf /ssa/home06:

 FSM             FS      Mgrtd   Pmgrtd  Mgrtd   Pmgrtd  Unused  Free
 Filesystem      State   KB      KB      Files   Files   Inodes  KB
 /ssa/home06       a     108048  0       12810   0       7674748 7891148

 So, the sum of the sizes off all migrated files is now 108Mb and should be
 > 60Gb!

 And dsmreconcile gives "unable to find any candidates in the file system"
 but there are at least 4500 candidates with total size of 20Gb.

 dsmreconcile /ssa/home06:

  Querying the ADSM server for a list of migrated files...
         Received 16566 entries
  Querying the ADSM server for a list of backed up files...
         Received 15351 entries
  Writing the new migration candidates list...
         Note: unable to find any candidates in the file system.
 ANS9250I File system '/ssa/home06' reconciliation completed.

 An the current space management setting for this file system are:
 dsmmigfs Q:

 File System     High    Low     Premig  Age     Size    Quota   Stub File
 Name            Thrshld Thrshld Percent Factor  Factor          Size
 /ssa/home06     80      75      -       1       0       13000000        4095

 Migrating one particular file (dsmmigrate file) gives:

 ANS9298I File file is skipped for migration: Backup copy found is not current.

 After making a new backup from this file, migration is possible (and
 a candidate is found by dsmreconcile).
 So after making new backup's from all the restored 4500 online files,
 there are 4500 candidates again.

 - dsmdf doesn't look fine, question is why;
 - there are no migration candidates, unless you make a new backup of
   all the online files, question is why.

 Anyone any suggestion and/or answers?

(running ADSM V2.1.0.13 on a SP2 (AIX 4.1.4.0) using 3494 with 4 3590 units,
 backup/archive client's 2.1.0.6 on AIX 3.2, AIX 4.1.4, SunOs, Solaris,
 IRIX, Win95, WinNT, HSM client's 2.1.0.6 on AIX 4.1.4.0)

Regards,

Henk ten Have                   SARA, Academic Computing Services Amsterdam
Systems Programmer              Kruislaan 415
E-mail: hthta AT sara DOT nl           1098 SJ Amsterdam
Phone : +31205923000            The Netherlands