ADSM-L

Re: Backup Rentention

1997-09-12 17:30:32
Subject: Re: Backup Rentention
From: "Alan R.White" <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:30:32 +0100
David

This is a question I raised when first getting involved with the same
issues. The list kindly gave us some really good ideas and we're using the
technique below.

Declare two nodes in the ADSM database for each physical client. One of
these is for the daily backups, the other for the weekly.
Perform the ADSM server setup as you've already done but with different
default management classes for each of the nodes. The config under the MC
for the daily backups should result in your required 7 day rentention,
likewise the the config under the MC for the weekly backups should result
in your 5 week retention.
On the client side declare 2 servers in the dsm.sys, with identical
parameters with one exception - use the nodename parameter in order that
the client declares its node name to the ADSM server rather than picking up
the hostname of the client machine. Use the same filename for
include/exlude list in both server declarations in the dsm.sys.
Then start two dsmc sched processes on the client specifying -server= so
each one picks up the required entry in the dsm.sys file and so each one
becomes the scheduler for the appropriate harcoded nodename.
Next set up your schedules, one to run every day and associate it with your
daily node, the other to run weekly and associate it with your weekly node.
Run them both as incrementals, would advise collocation unless other
conditions override.

If you want more detail please e-mail me, there are usually many factors to
take into consideration but this post is getting quite lengthy as it is.

Regards
Alan White

> ----------

eJ8+IiASAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy

b3NvZnQgTWFpbC5Ob3RlADEIAQ2ABAACAAAAAgACAAEEkAYAKAEAAAEAAAAMAAAAAwAAMAIAAAAL

AA8OAAAAAAIB/w8BAAAASgAAAAAAAACBKx+kvqMQGZ1uAN0BD1QCAAAAAEFEU006IERpc3QgU3Rv

ciBNYW5hZ2VyAFNNVFAAQURTTS1MQFZNLk1BUklTVC5FRFUAAAAeAAIwAQAAAAUAAABTTVRQAAAA

AB4AAzABAAAAFQAAAEFEU00tTEBWTS5NQVJJU1QuRURVAAAAAAMAFQwBAAAAAwD+DwYAAAAeAAEw

AQAAABoAAAAnQURTTTogRGlzdCBTdG9yIE1hbmFnZXInAAAAAgELMAEAAAAaAAAAU01UUDpBRFNN

LUxAVk0uTUFSSVNULkVEVQAAAAMAADkAAAAACwBAOgEAAAACAfYPAQAAAAQAAAAAAAAC+i8BBIAB

ABUAAABSRTogYmFja3VwIHJldGVudGlvbgBfBwEFgAMADgAAAM0HCQAIAA4AGQAeAAEAKwEBIIAD

AA4AAADNBwkACAAOABcAFwABACIBAQmAAQAhAAAAQjY3MDJFNkQzRjI4RDExMUJGNzgwMDA0QUNG

REY0MUYARAcBA5AGAJgGAAAUAAAACwAjAAAAAAADACYAAAAAAAsAKQAAAAAAAwAuAAAAAAADADYA

AAAAAEAAOQBA0raWhLy8AR4AcAABAAAAFQAAAFJFOiBiYWNrdXAgcmV0ZW50aW9uAAAAAAIBcQAB

AAAAFgAAAAG8vISWrG0ucLcoPxHRv3gABKz99B8AAB4AHgwBAAAAAwAAAE1TAAAeAB8MAQAAABEA

AABNSVMvTUlTUE8vc3N0aWRkAAAAAAMABhAdF68FAwAHEPcEAAAeAAgQAQAAAGUAAABZT1VNSUdI

VFdBTlRUT1RSWVNFTEVDVElWRUJBQ0tVUEJVVElET05UVEhJTktJVFVTRVNUSEVJTkNMVURFRVhD

TFVERUxJU1RFSVRIRVJJQU1DVVJSRU5UTFlET0lOR1RIRVNBAAAAAAIBCRABAAAAEgUAAA4FAAAu

CQAATFpGdf46o9z/AAoBDwIVAqQD5AXrAoMAUBMDVAIAY2gKwHNldO4yBgAGwwKDMgPGBxMCgyIz

D3poZWwDIERs6mcCgzQTDX0KgAjPCdniOxefMjU1AoAKgQ2xwQtgbmcxMDMUIAsKSxLyDAFjAEAg

WQhgINBtaWdoBUB3AHAFQIR0bx1gcnkgJxHwAmwFkHRpdmUnIAJiANBrdXAuIEKidQVASSBkAiAn

HVGiaAuAayBpBUB1EfDLBCAf4GUgMG5jCkANsMguZXghIyBsBAAFQDZlIEAU8HIfAB9RYW3cIGMI

cBegAjBsHcAfgPULgGcgs3MjACDgH+IkEDcD8B/gIvByEbAeUXMsfx6QHzELgBywHcAE8BTwZLp1

HhBkIyADcAOBZCXwzx9gI2EkhCDvIGYDECiQ3yeRIGIi8B9wBpBmBJAjcX4gAiApkQWxKHIldR8A

VPcU8AOgH2BiJFEIcCShHYD/EbEaoCiRBUAeoitzJoEXoHZnJwAKwWQLcCOhHqRzxi4wYAqFSG9w

JKMEIB8U8TBBCoUKiyIAMTgwwQLRaS0xNDQN8AzQszPjC1kxNgqgA2B0HiF8IC02BwqHNLsMMDWG

Rj0DYTo3DjWGDIIVMGF28mknMEdyHTE2rze9BmC3AjA47zn7TQIgL5B5JfAbBmAFMGUG0ASQIDA4

ISXwMTk5N0DgOjEwNSBQTTt/N71UbwM9vzn7QURTTS1MAEBWTS5NQVJJwFNULkVEVUG/PI74dWJq

HiFD3zn7HqQn8Ts1sAIwaQIgMg8zEzM2bzSHFcIMATWGVyviKJBy3HVuAwAkAUWyIB5gEeB9TBEg

EiAlIwtRADAFsG0fBCAtMBGwIvAEIEhQVTUDAHgl8FcLgB+Ad3OYTlQsCoUHwHRXT3GbJfAqAk0A

0C0hcHAXQf8JgB8AT0UjOCBwI/IrQgOBvmEt8AeAHUEhIFJgcwqF3x/gUZAi8BUQU1EgQSBQhf8g

oR2ALQFLsQtxJyErgkuB7R1xMQHQL4F5MFAF0C/R/m8EEAeQCoVPwASBIiAqAu9ZA1AzH4AHkW41

oCtxWWL7KGMdoGEqoEwCB0AcsBIA9mgEcCswZgqFIQEXoFfy+2DBKgJmJwADIC/1WPQocW8dwE9y

IHFeMW8fADEAd/5lUIEl8GQTHSJYlh2AEcDvHmAoY1AzY0YnHMAjUAWw/x6ACGFXgQuAA1AkgmNG

UmF/ISBc4BUAZEFYhlVgBBBp+wJgLGFGW3Il4VkDMXFh+u9jRj+UH9EDYHUc4DiROvD/bqEnkQqF

KoBi+SsxSOE/svcsc2LsT3JrQCErc0FwZVD8ZWtccU9BZhlQMx1xB0D+cx2AH4BtH24vbzpwVQqF

r2NGcUlcoTrwZSqAdwhg/mwnMC0BHXFPsXY/d0hYl/94H1lTIsBZySUkS6hhUXPB/1xCKfNPsW/2

A6AldXDPIsC/f6hBcIB/gYsKhXP1RF8CvyvJSzZhIF9AK6QhBS8hhn9d8UBBI3FR8RIAXTZLkGKv

d9JWMSIAI3E/E3BuJpGfbxAt8CIgWiNQ0W51QGP/ghFZ54KzS80xIAUQBHCGkb97tgnBUZBqwlVQ

F6BjBzD/VZJMTAqFLJAAcHQglG8Ksvk6zyBDB0AGkAWwAwAqgGpQBvB5NbFoAwBVEFNtjBIgUrFQ

g3R+NgYRIORMdTFxT2IEAFVgJfB/mIBMvzSHG9U1hgqFFsEAAZ/QAAADABAQAAAAAAMAERAAAAAA

---------------------------
> >From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> >From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> >Date: 9/8/97 11:34AM
> >To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
> >*To: *ADSM-L at SNADGATE
> >Subject: WINDOWS 95 SUPPORT

----
> >Robert -
> >Robert -
> >
> >** I won't do any police jokes - just the facts.....
> >
> >I am not completely clear on your question.....
> >
> >There is a Windows 95 client - actually called Win32 - it works on both
Win95
> [...]
problem
> >there.  If you don't use TCP/IP, then you would have to go to some other
common
> >protocol.  Not all protocols are supported for all Client/Server
combinations,
> >so be careful.
> >
> >Hope this helps
> >
> >Jerry Lawson
> >jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
> >
> >______________________________ Forward Header
> __________________________________
> >Subject: WINDOWS 95 SUPPORT
> >Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> >Date:    9/8/97 11:34 AM
> >

> >Hello:  Does anyone know if there will be a windows 95 backup client for
> >the AS/400 in the near future.  I've talked to marketing and they have
> >no idea.  The IBM Storage site is currently down so I couldn't check
> >there.  Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Robert Ford
> >CIS III
> >Missouri State Highway Patrol
> >--
> ># Netscape folder cache

> * Rafael J. Goldschmidt                          *
> * Elcano 5039 - (1427) Buenos Aires - Argentina  *
> * Telefonos: (54-1) 553 9909 / 421 4782          *
> * E-mail (Internet) : rafagold AT cano.com DOT ar       *
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 8 Sep 1997 16:38:06 -0300
> From:    "Rafael J. Goldschmidt" <rafagold AT CANO.COM DOT AR>
> Subject: Files restore.
>
> Hi ADSMers!
> A customer just asked me (and I did not know) how can he restore a file,
> from a certain backup date.  I don't find in ADSM a way to find out the
date
> and time of backup of a certain file.  The customer wants to look for a
> file, and see all the versions he has, with an indication of date and
time
> of backup. Does this exist?
> Thanx a lot!
> Rafael.

> * Rafael J. Goldschmidt                          *
> * Elcano 5039 - (1427) Buenos Aires - Argentina  *
> * Telefonos: (54-1) 553 9909 / 421 4782          *
> * E-mail (Internet) : rafagold AT cano.com DOT ar       *
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:46:33 PDT
> From:    Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
> Subject: A strange weekend...
>
> Jerry:  We had similar problems with both level12 and 13, but it was
> much worse with level 13.  Turned out to be a TCPIP problem which caused
> both ADMIN and BACKUP schedules to wait, since they both use the same
> schedule manager in ADSM, who, it turns out, is waiting on TCPIP.
> Unless the problem was cleared by either restarting TCPIP or ADSM, the
> window would expire and the command/backup would be missed.  The APAR
> is PQ06771 and was still open last time I checked.  Level 2 will send
> you a temporary fix though, if asked.  The problem went away here after

-
-

> >I had a strange weekend - what was it Jerry Garcia used to say "What a
> >strange journey this has been"?
> >
> >We began having TCP/IP troubles on Friday - we could establish sessions,
but
> >data transfers would hang after a few bytes were sent - they would
timeout
> >either as a communications timeout, or an idle wait, depending on when
TCP
> >decided to stop.  This didn't clear until 2:00 AM, when they bounced
TCP/IP,
> >but operations didn't recycle ADSM, so we were out of the water until
mid
> >morning Saturday when I happened to check it.
> >
> >Nothing much unusual there, but here is what had me confused.  Sometime
on
> >Friday, all of our Admin schedules stop executing - no indication as to
why.
> >Around noon on Friday, I had operations recycle ADSM, which went
> >successfully.  When it came up, an admin schedule that was in the middle
of
> >its window kicked off, executed, and reported back a successful
completion.
> >I thought the problem was solved, but later Friday, I checked again, and
the
> >admin scheduler was out again.
> >
> >I cannot think of any relationship between  TCP/IP communications, and
admin
> >schedules.  Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> >When I discovered the problem on Saturday, I again had them restart
ADSM, and
> >again it seemed to take off - reconnected to TCP/IP, and admin schedules
> >seemed to be working.  Later that evening, though, not only had I lost
> >communications again, but console traffic seemed to be gone as well.
Since