ADSM-L

Tracking Backup success or failures

1997-09-11 15:11:24
Subject: Tracking Backup success or failures
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:11:24 -0400
Date:     September 11, 1997            Time: 2:25 PM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
I must admit to sometimes doing "passive listening" on the list when it comes
I must admit to sometimes doing "passive listening" on the list when it comes
to Data Base backup, as I don't have a lot of DB experience.  I know some of
the buzzwords, and what a Hot backup is, and not to backup Oracle when it's
running, but the intricacies of some of these issues have not been something
I followed closely.  That seems to be about to change..

In my company we have a group of Data Base Administrators (DBAs) whose job is
the care and feeding of Oracle DBs.  They are in the process of installing
ADSM on some Sun machines with Oracle  on them; but there expertise has been
with Legato as a backup product.  At this time we are NOT doing anything
fancy - not using SQL Backtrack or Oracle's EBU.  They either do a full
backup when Oracle is down, or use the Hot backup features of Oracle to
create files of changed records that are then backed up.  All of this is run
via KRON scripts, instead of through ADSM's scheduler.

Everyone was cool with this setup until one enthusiastic DBA wanted to know
how we would notify people when a backup didn't work on the weekend.  I had
to admit that she had me at a loss.  Legato apparently displays console
messages that the operations people can find and warn people that something
didn't work.  I would think that it seems reasonable to be able to write a
script of some sort to parse the log and look for "error" indications, but I
don't know if this is the best approach, or if indeed anyone else has done
it.  Can people who are doing similar things share their experiences here?
Are we better off from a control point of view if we were to go to EBU or SQL
Backtrack?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry