ADSM-L

Re: AW: Server prompting Client 2.1.0.6 under NT 4.0 SP3

1997-09-09 10:33:38
Subject: Re: AW: Server prompting Client 2.1.0.6 under NT 4.0 SP3
From: Armin Burkhardt <burkhard AT AND.MPI-STUTTGART.MPG DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:33:38 +0200
Hi once more ASDM'ers

some hours ago I wrote:

>I'm slowly but surely despairing getting the NT client
>properly prompted by our ADSM Server.
>NODENAME PCAND7.MPI-STUTTGART.MPG.DE
>TCPSERVERADDRESS adsmserv1.mpi-stuttgart.mpg.de
>dsmerror.log:
>09/09/1997 10:58:27  ANS4111E Invalid option/value: '-CommMeth=D'
>
>Is anyone out there running the 2.1.0.6 client on NT 4.0 Service-Pack 3
>and gets a proper response to a server prompt ?

Now it is quite clear what happened: First, the NTFS permissions needed some
relaxation to grant the service disk access (thanks, Michael). The strange
error message in dsmerr.log remained. Reinstalling the service with the
node name in small letters (pcand7.mpi-stuttgart.mpg.de) yielded
                                                     ^

ANS4111E Invalid option/value: '-CommMeth=d

whereas the installation on vsnt1.mpi-stuttgart.mpg.de yields
                                                     ^

ANS4111E Invalid option/value: '-CommMeth=e

and the only box where the service runs has a four letter name.

From the above observations it seems very likely that our quite lengthy
full qualified domain name (well, the manual allows 64 chars) is leading
to an overflow when written into or read out of the registry.

I got some calls from places where NT4 SP3 ran flawlessly with the NT
Client 2.1.0.6g, they all have one thing in common: A short domain name.

As we can not change our domain and we would like you have names longer than
four characters for our machines, we really would like to see this fixed.

Thanks to everyone who responded

Armin
|Armin Burkhardt               | Heisenbergstrasse 1 | Phone: (49) 711-6891563 |
|MPI fuer Festkoerperforschung | D-70569 STUTTGART   | FAX  : (49) 711-6891632 |