ADSM-L

Re[2]: Change volumes of library without move command

1997-09-08 13:34:37
Subject: Re[2]: Change volumes of library without move command
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:34:37 -0500
     Hello,

        When we migrated to our 3494, here are the steps I followed (as
     best as I can recall from 16 mos ago).  Although we've got 3490e, 3590
     shouldn't be any different except for the ATL scratch category.

     1. setup ATL (hardware, software, drivers, etc)
     2. Define ATL to ADSM (library, stgpools, drives, etc)
     3. Setup new migration path in ADSM (copygroups, nextpool)
        * don't forget to activate policies as needed.
     4. Tapes in Manlib (standalone drives) had been explicity defined.
     5. Update vols access=unavailable.
     6. Put tape in ATL
     7. Checkin libv  status=priv
     8. Update vol acc=reado.
     9. As tapes became empty:
          Checkout libv llll xxxxxx
          Delete vol xxxxxx
        -- put tape back in atl
          Checkin libv llll xxxxxx stat=scr

     The stgpool for the atl has a large maxscratch pool.  Thinking back,
     it wasn't really a big nightmare as most of our clients DON'T restore.

Author:  "Pittson; Timothy ;HiServ/NA" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM> at
~Internet
Date:    9/8/97 11:41 AM

Jose,
        While I've never tried this, I see no reason why just moving the tapes
to the 3494 library and checking them in would not work - are you using
barcode labels on the tapes ???

Regards...
Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com

>----------

Hello:

        We have two 3590-B11. We are going to convert them in two
3590-B1A in order to introduce them into to a 3494 tape library.

        Can we use the old tape volumes with data in the new
configuration directly (without "move data")?.

Versions:
        AIX 4.15, ADSM server for AIX 2.1.5.12

Best regards,

Jose Antonio Alhambra