ADSM-L

ANS4253E File I/O error...

1997-09-08 09:51:21
Subject: ANS4253E File I/O error...
From: "Booher, Joelle M" <jmbooher AT AMP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 09:51:21 -0400
Good Monday morning!

I am running ADSM Server for NT, PTF3.  This weekend one of our clients
got the following error:

09/06/1997 03:00:56 Expiring-->            426,975
E:\data\Mpro\CHUCK.$$D  Sent
09/06/1997 03:00:56 Expiring-->             17,348
E:\data\Mpro\CHUCK.$$X  Sent
09/06/1997 03:00:58 ANS4102I ***** Processed   227,500 files *****
09/06/1997 03:01:04 ANS4102I ***** Processed   228,000 files *****
09/06/1997 03:01:06 ANS4102I ***** Processed   228,500 files *****
09/06/1997 03:01:10 ANS4102I ***** Processed   229,000 files *****
09/06/1997 03:01:28 ANS4253E File input/output error
09/06/1997 03:01:28 Incremental backup of drive 'F:' with label
'TYPHOONF'
09/06/1997 03:01:38 Directory-->                 0 F:\INSTALLR  Sent

As you can see, it was backing up drive E: at the time that the error
occurred, then went right to drive F:.  Unfortunately there are about
10,000 more files on drive E: that it never attempted to backup.  Upon
investigation, it appears that there is a corrupt file in one of the
subdirectories on drive E: which cannot be deleted.  Microsoft has
instructed the admins of that NT server that they will need to run a
chkdsk -f, and reboot the server before the file gets cleaned up.  The
admins have informed me that they can not bring the server down until
next weekend.  AND, to complicate matters, they do not feel comfortable
running that chkdsk unless they have good backups - which they are not
getting because of the I/O failure.  I ran a selective of all of those
directories so that they would have backups of Friday's updates, but I
can't continue to do that all week because it's causing good versions to
be pushed out, and it's flooding my already 14Gb database!

Here's my question (finally!):  How do I get ADSM to totally ignore the
corrupt file so that the rest of the files on that drive will be backed
up?  It appears that even if I exclude the file, ADSM tries to read it
or something because I still get the error/failure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help....
Joelle Booher
Amp Incorporated