ADSM-L

Re: pager-email

1997-09-05 12:03:45
Subject: Re: pager-email
From: Jason Carroll <ccjasonc AT SHOWME.MISSOURI DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:03:45 -0500
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Frank M. Ramaekers Jr. wrote:

>         Does someone have a working alphanumeric (perferably) pager
> program that works on AIX.  I was thinking about one that would check an
> e-mail account & page the number on the subject line and send a portion
> of the body.  (Or something like that)
>
> I have tried:
>         email-pager
>         tpage
>         sendpage7a

We use sendpage7a here on an AIX 4.1.5.  I just modified the sendmail
rules so anything coming in with a specific domain (I just used an MX
record for the machine) would run the sendpage program, then just defined
the userids in the sendpage.cf file to point to the pager numbers.  You
can run sendpage with flags that will strip out signatures and also send
the subjects or not and return mail too long.  The only problems I had
with sendpage was figuring out the modem init string (we had an old 14.4
modem laying around) to use that actually worked.  Also the documentation
on the program is a little lacking, but then again it is free.  So far we
have been running it about 2 months and haven't had a single problem.

This doesn't do exactly what you want but creates a "sudo" email account
for each pager you define in the config file.  If you really just want to
check a single account, you might consider just using a simple pop program
that would check every few minutes for new mail, then just parse anything
it returns to a alphanumeric pager program like sendpage or even kermit.

Jason

-- Jason Carroll                  | CC UCS Open Systems  200 Heinkel Bldg.
-- ccjasonc AT showme.missouri DOT edu   | Phone: 882-2000      Fax: 884-5240
-- ccjasonc AT showme.missouri DOT edu   | Phone: 882-2000      Fax: 884-5240