ADSM-L

ADSM System Growth

1997-09-04 18:27:45
Subject: ADSM System Growth
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 18:27:45 EDT
From: Mike Knight, IBM GS Central, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997 14:32:21 PDT, Chris Gilmore asked:

>The question is, should we continue to add additional frames to
>the 3494 and use it with both RS/6000s?  Or, would it be better
>to purchase an additional 3494 and run each server as a separate
>RS/6000/3494 combination?

We currently have one 3494 with several drives shared by two production
servers and one test system, all running AIX 4.x.  This has worked
just fine for us.  Ask your sales rep about the Secondary Server
Attachment feature on the ADSM software.  This is lower cost than
buying another Device Module 4 for the system sharing the library.

One limitation is that there is no dynamic allocation of the tape
drives.  You must define each drive to one ADSM system at a time and
set the mount limit on the device class to match.  We have some
drives cabled to two systems, but only one ADSM can have them defined
at a time.  ADSM support has stated in the past that a shared 3494 has
not been certified in their lab, so it is not supported if there are
problems.  You might want to verify this.

       Mike (Just another user, not IBM support) Knight